Castles and Sand Castles - 26 Miles
Circular route through Nevern, Cilgerran and St Dogmaels
- Starting in Newport, you follow the quiet back roads towards Traeth Mawr and then drop down into the picturesque village of Nevern (4).
- Stop off here, to have a look around the Norman church of St Brynach, an important ecclesiastical centre and site of a 10th centuary Celtic cross.
- At 16 Km you can stop off at Cilgerran Castle a striking 13th centuary castle, perched overlooking the Teifi Gorge.
- Follow the road to Cilgerran Wildlife centre, where you can stop off for refreshments and then along the river front into Cardigan.
- From Cardigan follow the road to St Dogmaels, and enjoy the amazing site of the ruined abbey.
- The route then follows the Teifi estuary to Poppit sands, (the start/end of the Coastal path) a lovely expanse of golden sand.
- Follow the coastal road from Poppit to Moylgrove, stopping off in Ceibwr bay to see the spectacular geology and folding cliffs.
- There is then a final ascent to the highest point at (39Km), but owrth the effect for the views of Traeth Mawr and Dinas head as you cycle back to Newport.